In an effort to differentiate our club from other youth sports organizations here in the greater Helena area, we changed our youth division name to Helena Novas in winter 2019. Along with that change, we also will be using a new logo, which borrows from our old logo, and will use light blue (primary) and navy (secondary) as our team colors.
The new East Helena High School, which is expected to open in fall 2019, chose Vigilantes as its mascot and navy blue as its primary color, which both conflicted with our previous club name (Helena Vigilante Runners, Helena Vigilantes) and color. Additionally, fellow USATF club Bozeman Track Club competes in navy blue, which often made it difficult for our athletes to be identified in past competitions.
The Helena Vigilante Runners will remain our parent club, providing us with support as we continue to provide a low cost, high quality club sports opportunity for youth in the greater Helena area. We also continue to receive generous financial support from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana and Sullivan Financial Group, which helps provide necessary training equipment and allows us to host the USATF Montana Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships in Helena.
Since the youth program’s launch in the fall of 2015, we’ve taken great pride in presenting a unique program that is financially accessible, open to boys and girls ages 7-18, welcoming to youth of all ability levels, professionally managed, and focused on youth development. Our SafeSport Certified coaches provide their services on a volunteer basis and have provided hundreds of young athletes with positive instruction and support. None of that will change as we move forward with our new name.
- The club features the Helena area’s rising stars, and the club’s purpose is to help brighten their futures in a variety of ways
- A nova is generally known as a coming together of two stars, which results in a brighter new star; in our case, the club has grown brighter because of a coming together of youth from various communities in the greater Helena area
- The Latin definition of nova is new; or young person
- The use of the name has a positive meaning, which we feel is important in youth athletics
Along with this change, we will be unveiling new racing singlets in spring 2019. To help keep costs down for parents, participants will not be required to purchase new uniforms year after year. Instead, we will have an inventory of singlets that will be checked out to athletes each season. All we will require is a deposit that will be returned when the singlet is returned. Our design will be posted here soon.
- UNIFORM BOTTOMS: Athletes will be asked to purchase their own navy blue shorts to compliment the light blue tops. Information regarding shorts and some purchasing options will be provided to parents and athletes later this spring. If athletes are unable to secure navy blue shorts, black will be a secondary option.
Thank you for your support, and Go Novas!