Helena Novas cross country and track and field accepts athletes ages 7-18. The athlete will participate in the age group determined by the athlete’s age as of 12/31 of the current year at USATF Junior Olympic events. Other meets will possibly have different age divisions.
Year of Birth
7 – 8 (previously Sub-bantam)
9 – 10 (previously Bantam)
11 – 12 (previously Midget)
13 – 14 (previously Youth)
15 – 16 (previously Intermediate)
17 – 18 (previously Young)
- 100 Meter
- 200 Meter
- 400 Meter
- 1500 Meter
- 3000 Meter (9 and older)
- 2000 Meter Steeple Chase (11 and older)
- Hurdles (11 and older, distances vary between 80 and 400 meters)
- 4X100 Relay
- 4×400 Relay
- Long Jump
- Triple Jump (13 and older)
- High Jump (9 and older)
- Pole vault (11 and older)
- Mini- Javelin (10 and younger)
- Aero-javelin, Finn Flyer (11-12)
- Javelin (13 and older)
- Shot Put
* Steeple Chase may not be contested at most meets.
The 2020 track and field registration fee includes:
- Coaching at up to 4 practice sessions per week for up to 11 weeks
- State Junior Olympic Meet Registration
- Regional Junior Olympic Meet Registration
- National Junior Olympic Meet Registration (qualification required)
- Two mini-meets for athletes 10 and younger
- Use of Vigilante Stadium track during designated practice times
- Season-long use of a team singlet/jersey
- One pair of team socks
POLE VAULTERS: We’re excited to announce we will be adding pole vault in 2020. Vaulters will be invoiced an additional fee of $100 per month of instruction. The additional monthly cost will support the purchase of proper equipment that directly benefits and ensures the safety of the athletes participating in that event.
All coaches are registered USATF coaches. They are required to have a background check completed through USATF and complete the SafeSport course. Some have completed coaches training through USATF or through the National Federation of High Schools, and some have also attended other coaching clinics. You can learn more about our coaches here.
If the Helena Novas host a track meet or XC meet, we will need parent volunteers to take shifts to support events/races. The more volunteers available will ensure that the meet remains on time and runs smoothly.
All communication is handled by phone (call or text) Coach Zentz at 406-422-3039, via email or through Facebook (page for general public communications and a group for specific team communications).
If a practice is canceled, Coach Zentz will typically send an email, post to Facebook or provide an update on the announcements page at the website by 4 pm. It will be important to use an email that you can monitor during the day.
- All participants will be required to obtain an annual USATF membership ($20) by visiting www.usatf.org, where you can sign up for a new membership or renew an inactive membership.
- The athletes/parents are responsible for transportation to and from competitions.
- The athletes/parents are responsible for the cost of food during trips and all meets.
- Athletes are strongly encouraged to purchase a pair of dark navy blue shorts they are comfortable competing in. We will provide some easy options when we open our club store through Universal Athletic.
- Addition club apparel will be for sale through our club store at Universal Athletic, which will open in March, however purchase is optional. A portion of all proceeds will go to the club.
- A good pair of running shoes should be purchased for the athlete. Spikes are advised for athletes 11 and older. If you have questions about shoes, please talk to a coach or email email@example.com.
- POLE VAULTERS: Vaulters will be invoiced an additional fee of $100 per month of instruction. The additional monthly cost will support the purchase of proper equipment that directly benefits and ensures the safety of the athletes participating in that event.
Your child will need to have a pair of athletic running shoes for practice and meets. Appropriate running attire should include; warm ups/sweats, running shorts, long and short sleeve shirts. Running spikes are optional, but strongly encouraged for athletes 11 and older. You can all of these items at any of the sports stores in Helena, but we strongly recommend purchasing shoes where they have a knowledgeable staff, such as Universal Athletic. Please feel free to ask a coach if you have any questions about shoes or spikes, or simply email firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is required that all athletes bring water and/or sports drinks to practices and meets.
Tip: Put your child’s name on everything they bring to the track.